Thursday, July 26, 2007

VBS

Well, we survived Vacation Bible School. I'll admit to wondering at the point of the VBS exercise year after year. Each year from week to week, the very same kids (especially in smaller communities similar to the one I find myself in) trek from church to church for VBS. It often feels like what once began as an evangelistic exercise has now turned into a case of which church can entertain them the most. Yes, I admit I'm fairly cynical.

However, in some churches, it's more about what the experience does for the adults who take part, I suppose. It gets them into the habit (or at least gives them an experience) of welcoming the stranger, making room for children. In the case of my church, we had just has many adults as we did children, which was fantastic.

In the end, though, we told the stories of our faith, perhaps planting seeds of faith. Plus, the members of the church work together, giving them yet another experience of life together, telling others about their faith in God, which can never be a bad thing.

Here's to another 50.5 weeks until the next VBS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot one of the most important aspects of VBS - it provides free babysitting! Now that's cynical!