Friday, July 13, 2007

Churches Together

Well, I attended my first Ministerial Alliance meeting today. Oh my. I found out there are about 15 churches in the ZIP code (population: about 3500). At this meeting, three churches were represented. There seems to be a general lack of interest in ecumenical relationships, which despite all my frustrations with it in England, I find it a real shame.

But it's ok, because we have our Labor Day picnic. This picnic, kind of like a one-day fair, pays for all the social programs the ministerial alliance (read: the Assembly of God church) does throughout the year. By social programs, I mean energy assistance, food pantry, help with rent, etc. Note that the churches don't put any money into this social fund, but it all comes from this picnic.

Apparently, this picnic used to be quite the drunken festival, with the Knights of Columbus inviting a beer wagon to the festivities. Sounds like a good time to me, but the ministerial alliance had other ideas. So they took over to keep the beer out of the park. Note that no beer is allowed, but they do invite the NRA! I probably stepped in it on my first meeting, but I spoke up and said if we aren't going to allow beer at a church-sponsored event, then we shouldn't allow guns, either. This idea was met with an awkward silence before somebody quickly changed the subject. Excellent.

Anyway, the ministerial alliance needs some work. Don't know if I'm the person to do it. We'll see. It's a bit early to make any of those decisions. We'll just wait and see what happens.

Vacation Bible School starts next week. Woo hoo!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun. Being also in the position of having a ministerial alliance that needs work, I wonder at the effectiveness of Methodist pastors doing the work. Practically, because we are seen as transitory presences, to be ignored by others if they dont like us. And besides, not like you dont have enough other stuff to deal with in your setting...

I have been on the receiving end of the awkward silence a couple times now... Not a fun experience, is it? Especially from other pastors.

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! I loved your suggestion to the ministerial alliance. :)
-- Abby

Anonymous said...

Ministerial Alliance here needs work, also. Ours encompasses the entire county with about 30 churches... only about 4 participate.

Its sad that we can not be more ecumenical...