Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Holier than Thou

I've about had it with folks. And I know I fall into the same trap from time to time, but I'm quite aggravated at the minute. You've already read about the previous troubles in the church. Those have somewhat sorted themselves out, though not really. But I just got a phone call that's irked me a bit.

Some of you might know that we've got a Habitat chapter here in town and we've just selected our family. There's been all sorts of press about it so we can garner up some support. The family that was selected, based on the greatest need, is a blended family. The man who applied has several kids by previous relationships. He's also currently living with his fiance. They aren't married. Habitat has four primary criteria for who gets a house. They must be 1) a US citizen; 2) employed; 3) living in substandard housing; 4)willing to help build their home. That's it.

Habitat bills itself as a Christian organization, which I believe it is. Simply by offering a hand up out of poverty, I see Jesus acting through us. I'm proud to be a part of a local project.

So I get this call this afternoon. This woman and her husband (not in my congregation) were wanting to volunteer to help, until they saw that the family we chose were 'living in sin.' So now they're refusing to help.

I'm so angry I could either cry. How did the Church get to the point where we would only help perfect people? Don't all of us live in sin every day? Didn't Jesus help people while they were in sin instead of waiting for them to clean up their lives and then offer to help them? I tried to explain it to her, but she said we should invite them to church, but not necessarily help them live in a suitable home.

I understand, to a degree, where this woman is coming from. But I still don't understand. How did Christianity become only about living with a moral checklist (often only containing those morals that we ourselves can live by) and less about helping the poor and the outcast?

I'd like some help on how to word an argument with folks who bring this up, because this is not the first time I've heard this since we announced our family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I think the way your worded the argument in your post is perfect. The fundamental fact about Christian benevolence is the selflessness of the act, both personally to who is giving, and to the religion which that person belongs to. You should inspire people to join you not in exchange of what you give them, but by the inspiration they take from your example. Which is basically what you said. :-)
Pedro

Anonymous said...

I agree - being a follower of Christ means you reach out to those beneath you in life, and help them however you can. If a family is "living in sin", it could be that Christian outreach that helps them come to Christ themselves. There have been countless stories of those on the wrong path who have been helped in some way and that help caused them to look towards the right path, and eventually find themselves upon it.