Monday, January 14, 2008

Christmas, the New Year, and January

First of all, let me just say that I enjoyed not having 6 services on Christmas Eve this year. Instead, we just had the one. A very nice family in the church invited me out to their traditional Christmas Eve trip to Red Lobster (I had chicken) and then the Christmas Eve service began at 11. The nice thing about the sanctuary here is it has varying levels of lighting. We were able to keep it just light enough to read the hymnal, but still dark enough to enjoy the ambiance. We had a good crowd and folks are still raving about it. My thanks to FZ, as I pretty much stole his Christmas Eve idea, complete with O Holy Night.

Christmas morning I made the trek home. It was good to be home for Christmas this year, though it felt a bit strange with only the four of us (Dad, Mom, Paul and myself). It was a very low key day, which I enjoyed.

After a few days at home, I took off to Texas! I got to ring in the New Year with some friends of mine from Duke days. It felt really good to be with people who know me well. Living in a new place, it takes a while for that level of intimacy to build. Thanks to Amanda and Ashleigh for a good time!

And now January has arrived. It's a bit manic, really. I came back for a few days then went to Ministers' School...which was ok. Now I'm back for a few days before two friends from England arrive! I'm so excited to see them! We'll be heading somewhere...destination unknown at this point. I really don't care where we go. I'm just very excited to see them.

That's life in a nutshell right now. Things at church continue to progress. Might try something a bit controversial this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

No comments: