Friday, August 24, 2007

Health Care

I'm a bit incensed at the minute. Like many folks, I have allergy and hayfever problems and I need to take drugs to be able to breathe. In England, I could get my allergy medicine over the counter, not having to pay for a doctor's visit (oh, wait, I didn't have to pay for a doctor's visit anyway!) or worry about getting a prescription. A month's worth of the medicine cost me about $40 a month.

Welcome back to the US. Yesterday, I paid a doctor $30 to see me for 5 minutes (after waiting nearly 2 hours) and then had to pay over $70 for a month's worth of the exact same medicine. AND I HAVE INSURANCE. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I know the National Health Service in England isn't perfect, but it's a far sight better than what we have here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The medication issue isn't the only problem with our health care system. There's a lot that needs to be done to make it something that is worthy of our country, but the powers that be are resistant for so many reasons. This is a hot spot for me, too, and I'm glad it's incensing you. I'd be worried if it didn't.

Anonymous said...

How much did you pay for a gallon of gas in England?

The Rev. J. Curtis Goforth said...

Amen to that sister! Our health insurance has gone up to $702/month in the Western NC Conference! At this point, I think it would be more cost-effective to simply put $300/month in a savings account to use for medical crap. I loved the NHS and I think Americans are stupid for allowing this to continue like it has.

Brandon said...

Did you read Jim Wallis' recent encounter with the English medical system in a Sojo blog post (don't recall the date)? It was beautiful. I figured that you would relate to it.